Along the Garden Route
Take a drive along the Garden Route heading West to George and Mossel Bay and enjoy the coastline. Beach lovers can walk for hours in Brenton-on-Sea. Heading East to the Storms River Mouth in the Tsitsikamma National Park leads you to another great holiday destination.
Knysna and Beyond
Walks and hikes
Knysna and the surrounding area is known for the great outdoors. There are a variety of hiking trails for nature lovers, bird watchers and an exceptional flora.
Knysna Elephant Park
The Knysna Elephant Park was established in 1994 and is the first plant in South Africa, the housing and care of orphaned African elephants dedicated. Visitors to the park will have the opportunity with the elephants to come into direct contact. After visiting one has a better understanding of the lifestyle and needs of African elephants.
Golf in Knysna
There are three Golf courses in Knysna, Simola, Knysna Golf Club and Pezula Golf Course. Also, it is only an hour's drive to George, where other Golf Courses such as Fancourt, Kingswood and the George Golf Club are located. The Garden Route offers a wide selection of top-class golf courses.
Watersports in Knysna
There are many watersports available for water lovers in Knysna. The lagoon itself is perfect for activities such as swimming, kite boarding, jet skiing, water skiing and sailing. You can also take whale and dolphin watching excursions on the Indian Ocean just a short distance away.
History of Knysna
The first Europeans arrived in 1760 in Knysna and the first farm was established on the eastern shores of the Knysna Lagoon.
George Rex, a British-born entrepreneur, is credited with the creation of Knysna.
A part of the farm was sold to the colonial government and the Royal Navy established at this point the township Melville.
In April 1817 the brig "Emu" sailed into the Knysna Heads as the first European ship.
The next big settler in Knysna was Captain Thomas Henry Duthie. The construction of a small Norman church was given by Duthie on his property in order and consecrated in 1855. The population of the settlement grew slowly. 1858 Knysna became independent in administration, new shops and accommodation facilities were opened. Knysna was the new shopping centre in the region.